CERTIFICATION PROCEDURES FOR EDUCATIONAL AIDES
It is required by Texas law (Texas Education Code 21.003) that educational aides be certified.
Step 1—Create a State Board for Educator Certification Account
The first step to gaining certification is to create an account with the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) (Individuals will likely not have an account with SBEC unless they have worked as an educator in Texas previously or are in an alternative teaching program.) Accounts may be created by accessing the following link:
Those applying should scroll over Texas Educators and select Initial Certification which is on the far left hand side of the menu then click on ECOS Login. Read the instructions and follow the link to create a new TEAL user account. Complete the form and click submit. Respond to screen prompts/communications to complete any log in requirements and then proceed to step 2 below. Please use your Forney ISD Email to apply and on any correspondence pertaining to your account.
Step 2—Apply for certification and pay applicable fees
Applicants for certification will need to choose the certification category for an educational aide. There are two processing tasks which will require payment:
- $30 or $32 dollars for the actual application for certification as an education aide, and STOP
- DO NOT PAY FOR THE FINGERPRINTING FEE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED FINGERPRINTING FOR WORK IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS PREVIOUSLY - This fee is for a criminal history background check which requires that you be fingerprinted. Instead, wait about 48 hours for the system to search for the record and apply it to your certification account.
Processing is accelerated for those making electronic payments with credit/debit cards. Please use a credit/debit card to pay for any fees.
As individuals go through the screens of setting up TEA certification account applying for certification, arrangements for fingerprinting will be recommended but as mentioned to you in the previous instructions, do not pay if you have already completed this process.
Step 3—Communicate with FISD Human Resources Department that all steps are complete
When all requirements are completed for certification including fingerprinting has been applied to your account, please e-mail your HR case manager that has processed your hire as there is a follow up step that the district must perform to complete the certification process.
In summary, the specific steps include:
- Visit the TEA website to set up an account
- Apply for certification as an educational aide via the TEA website - check that the fingerprinting is applied to your account if needed
- Inform HR case manager that steps 1 and 2 have been completed.
If you have any questions, please contact the HR staff that processed your new hire or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.